Protection to Meet Your Needs
In recent years, the effects of storm-related flooding on homes and businesses have been catastrophic — even in regions where floods were previously rare. Flooding is a potential threat to many properties, yet standard property insurance policies typically don’t cover it.
The Safehold Excess Flood Program can help when the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) limits don’t offer sufficient protection to meet your needs. Our program provides clients access to excess flood insurance at stable, competitive rates — even in some high-risk areas that many insurers won’t cover. We work on behalf of the insurance carriers to evaluate your flood exposure, underwrite your risk, and efficiently issue policies based on your unique needs. Our ability to accurately match coverage to clients’ risks helps us keep their premiums reasonable.
Using a consultative approach and sophisticated research tools, our flood analysis and placement team can accurately assess your flood-related risk and help you manage exposure.We evaluate your property using Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) maps, aerial photography, wind and water projections, elevation information, and water source and flood zone data.
Our program covers building, contents, and associated loss of income coverage — with limits up to $25 million per policy.
Interested in Primary Flood Coverage? Learn more about Primary Flood Insurance.
Residential Property (homeowners)
- Personal property
- Business income and extra expense
- Coverage under this policy will follow the terms, definitions, conditions, and exclusions of scheduled underlying insurance.
- Coverage provided by this policy will not be broader than the coverage provided by the policy listed in the scheduled underlying insurance.
- Pre-FIRM and post-FIRM (Flood Insurance Rate Map)
- Scheduled policies up to $50 million with no one building exceeding $10 million
- Blanket policies up to $25 million
- Equal to a minimum of the limits available under NFIP
The information below is a general summary of requirements and exclusions and is for reference only. Additional requirements and exclusions may apply.
- Minimum of a 14-day waiting period with respect to loss of income, subject to a minimum of $25,000 for any one occurrence
- State of Louisiana; Sacramento County, CA; Santa Barbara County, CA; Monroe County, IN; Hilo, HI
- Within 5 miles of the MS or MO river
- Within 1 mile of the Hudson, Delaware, Ohio, Russian, Susquehanna, or Red River
- Mobile, manufactured, or prefabricated homes
- built over water
- enclosures that are not adequately vented
- coastal with negative elevation
- non-coastal with negative elevations exceeding 2.5 ft.
- contents & BI coverage for papermills/manufacturers, furniture shops/manufacturers, Food, medical, water treatment, cement works/manufacturers
- business income or loss of revenue is greater than 50% of the total insured value
- total insured value greater than $50 million