Meeting the Insurance Needs of the Self-Storage Industry
Self-Storage businesses face a wide range of risks — including property damage, sale-and-disposal legal liability, vandalism, robbery, personal injury lawsuits, and more. The Safehold Special Risk Self-Storage Program can help protect businesses, employees, and customer property. Whether a single-location business or a multistate enterprise, our custom self-storage program provides consistent, dependable coverage at competitive prices.
As a managing general underwriter, Safehold Special Risk works on behalf of top-rated insurance carriers to create risk management programs that meet the unique needs of the self-storage industry. Available nationwide, our program features low deductibles, flexible payment terms, and accurate, responsive claims handling.
- Hard-to-find coverage options available for coastal properties
- Fraud and legal defense assistance
- Optional coverage extensions - including hazardous contents removal, resident manager’s liability, and equipment breakdown
- Discounts for national and state association memberships, protective devices, and multiple locations
Additional coverage options are available for Self-Storage businesses with employee related exposures, including Resident Managers’ Liability, Employee Dishonesty, Employee Benefit Liability, and Workers’ Compensation.
Soon, our program will include additional coverage options for employment practices liability, which protects you against claims of wrongful termination, age or gender discrimination, and other employer-related exposures.
- Limited Lessor's Risk Only (LRO) – Currently under development
- Self-storage business owners’ coverage form
- Special cause of loss - subject to exclusions & limitations
- Blanket building and personal property
- Loss of business income & extra expense
- Ordinance or law coverage
- Legal liability for customer goods
- Employee theft
- Liability and medical expenses
- Hired and non-owned automobile liability
- Accounts receivable: $25,000*
- Business computers: $25,000*
- Debris removal: $25,000*
- Money and securities: $10,000 on premises*/ $2,000 off premises
- Outdoor signs: $10,000*
- Trees, shrubs, and plants: $500 per tree, shrub or plant
- Valuable papers and records: $25,000*
- Equipment breakdown
- Umbrella/ Excess Liability: $1 million to $10 million for true umbrella or follow-form excess liability coverage
*These limits may be increased for an additional premium.
Additional Liability Coverages
- Customers' Goods Legal Liability: $25,000 with limits up to $1 million available
- Sale and Disposal Liability: $10,000 with limits up to $1 million available
- Hazardous Contents Removal: $25,000-$50,000 or $50,000-$200,000 available
- Business Liability: $300,000 included with $500,000, $1 million, and $2 million options available
- Medical Expense: $5,000 with higher limits available
Options of $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $10,000 or higher available.
Course of Construction for Self-Storage Facilities
- Business Owners’ Protection (BOP) extension for additions and buildings under construction, including alterations and repairs to the building or structure
- Course of construction includes materials, equipment, supplies and temporary structures from time of delivery to completion and occupancy